Help whenever you can, and be sure to expect nothing in return

Its been two months since my Dad passed away today, and I find myself remembering things he'd mentioned to me in passing a lot these days.

This one, in particular, came to my mind today.

  • Help others, especially if they ask you for help, whenever you can. Its easy and you'll feel good that you did.
  • However, almost as importantly, never, ever expect anything in return - even thanks, certainly not praise or a returned favor. You'll very likely be disappointed and less likely to help the next time around.
Its good advice, and over the years has definitely made my life better - especially the second part. :-)
So, if someone asks you for help, do it and enjoy the feeling it gives you. Just as importantly, discipline yourself to expect absolutely nothing in return.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Rescue Me" minisodes

A short love letter to ~8 years on Google Search - 8 things I’m grateful for.

Avengers Endgame: how trivial passions can nudge a career