Skip to main content

Are you kidding me??!!

Alright, I'm probably close to the last person on the planet who should be commenting on corporate mergers, but...
OK, I'm going to take that back; I'll have a MBA degree in a couple of months, so I'm probably better qualified than 99% of the planet...but still.. you could do much better.

Anyway, the Murdoch-threated WSJ reports today that Redmond is considering bidding on Yahoo. I don't understand it and from what I know it seems extremely unlikely to me that it'll happen, but that's what I thought about Google buying DoubleClick, and we know how that turned out.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a logical reason from Microsoft and Yahoo to merge, except some vague generalizations about how this will better place them to compete with the Big G in the area of Internet advertising. These are not good reasons to merge, and even if you managed to convince yourself they were, I'm not sure how a merger better helps you to compete. The spin-off joint venture idea is more interesting there..

I've never worked for a large company, but given what I've learnt and heard from friends, a merger of this sort will stifle innovation within this firm, and leave the entire industry including both companies (especially Yahoo, for whom I've developed a soft spot after interview season and the >play competition at Berkeley) worse off.

I mean, what's next? Google merges with Apple and you have complete vertical integration? Hey...maybe that explains the new Google personalized homepage logo that seems to irk some people so much. :)


Update: What do you know? Apparently, John Battelle predicted this back in January.

Comments

shmoo said…
Over the summer at Microsoft we talked about Google buying Apple actually. The idea behind it was to use the popularity of iTunes/iPod and combine it with Google's community-building.

A few months later, a different group within MS launched the social-focused Zune. Weird.

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's struggle is real... at the very least to them

A couple of weeks ago, while in line waiting to pick up some food I'd just ordered, I overheard two conversations - I don't make a habit of this, but it's hard to not hear things when you leave your phone behind. :-/
My first reactions as I heard both of these conversations was annoyance at the protagonist in one and admiration for the other. Both conversations stayed with me for a while, but it took me some time to realize that was unfair on my part to be annoyed at the person that I was annoyed at.

So about these conversations:
The first was between someone working there and a friend. She was sympathizing with her friend who'd be starting a new job leaving this place. "Oh, it's minimum wage again?", she said with concern in her voice. "Yes, but it's fine", said her friend. The job was closer to where she lived so she thought she'd make about the same and she might get home a little earlier to her daughter some evenings though the hours…

Yup - humans still lack humanity

Every once in a while, I'm reminded that humans can be completely lacking in humanity.

My wife had the following experience yesterday on her ride back home. She got on the train and found a seat. The train was unusually crowded and it looked a lot of people had to stand for a long ride. An elderly Asian gentleman carrying a few things in both hands, was looking for spot, started to complain smilingly about the train being so full and stood in the aisle at the back of the carriage some seats away from her.

She expected someone closer to gentleman in the aisle (lots of younger people on the train) to give him their seat.

No one did.

The train started, and it was clear the man was having a lot of trouble standing up. Then at the next stop there was actually an announcement saying the train was full so please give up your seats to people who needed them.

Still nobody moved.

My wife got up walked to the end of the train and asked the gentleman to go over to her seat. She still couldn&#…

Whimsy when I changed my profile picture...

I changed by profile picture at work.



Later in the day, two people on my team had changed their profile pictures to these.. :-)



It made my day!

I changed my profile pic again today. Let's see how fast anyone catches on this time. :-)