Skip to main content

Quick review: Transformers and product placement

I caught a midnight show of the Transformers movie this Monday. Loved it!
The special effects really work (essential for this movie), as does the entire story.
The cast is likable, as are the robots. The movie doesn't need you to know the entire Transformers backstory.

The best part of watching a first-day show of a comic book adaptation is that you're watching it with the fanboys. When the truck that we know to be Optimus Prime, just appeared in the distance the crowd started clapping, and Prime's first spoken words, "I am Optimus Prime" was enough to bring the house down. Even though I wasn't as much in to the Transformers as a kid, there's something about the franchise I've always loved; and heroes just don't get much more noble or admirable than Optimus Prime. :)

After the movie, I was chatting with someone about product placement in the film. The discussion started out with what worked and what didn't, but later on it got me thinking about what really was effective product placement and what wasn't.

GM's strategy clearly worked! The financial terms are interesting too (no fee, just co-branding in the advertising.) You can't keep the TV on for a while without seeing a GM/Transformers ad and its a strong, very positive association for the company. Is it enough to drive car sales up? I dunno; that battle may have been lost.
Line from the movie when Sam Witwicky sees Bumblebee "transform": "Wow, must be Japanese"

But clearly, I think this was great product placement. At the very least there is a strong positive association with GM cars. I couldn't decide on some of the other stuff though. To me it was unobtrusive (we're talking brand names on flash drives, XBox kinda stuff) which is good as a viewer, but it so was unobtrusive that I didn't notice it at all! Maybe some others picked it up, but the question the marketer has to ask is "was it really worth it given the expense?"

TV and movie product placements seem like they're just going to keep increasing. Unless there's a strong positive association that comes out of it though, I'm just not sure just the brand recognition is worth it for many products.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yup - humans still lack humanity

Every once in a while, I'm reminded that humans can be completely lacking in humanity.

My wife had the following experience yesterday on her ride back home. She got on the train and found a seat. The train was unusually crowded and it looked a lot of people had to stand for a long ride. An elderly Asian gentleman carrying a few things in both hands, was looking for spot, started to complain smilingly about the train being so full and stood in the aisle at the back of the carriage some seats away from her.

She expected someone closer to gentleman in the aisle (lots of younger people on the train) to give him their seat.

No one did.

The train started, and it was clear the man was having a lot of trouble standing up. Then at the next stop there was actually an announcement saying the train was full so please give up your seats to people who needed them.

Still nobody moved.

My wife got up walked to the end of the train and asked the gentleman to go over to her seat. She still couldn&#…

Whimsy when I changed my profile picture...

I changed by profile picture at work.



Later in the day, two people on my team had changed their profile pictures to these.. :-)



It made my day!

I changed my profile pic again today. Let's see how fast anyone catches on this time. :-)

Measure f-ing everything, and assume f-ing nothing!! - Or how mentoring ruined lives :-(

I've been really enjoying the Freakonomics podcast of late. This episode and the lesson we should take a away from it, was a stark reminder of one of the most important things we should be doing - but often don't - in building products or making any decisions: measuring the impact of absolutely everything we do, including the things that seem obviously good.

I recommend listening to the podcast if you have the time, but here's the summary. Stephen Dubner describes the Cambridge Sommerville Youth Study. The impact of social intervention programs in general is hard to measure and so they seldom are. This was the first attempt at measuring the impact over a long period of time.

It's a great story and there are a few good take-aways, but here's the main one: troubled or at-risk youth that received mentoring (good mentoring!) had worse life outcomes across every dimension than the kids that were left alone. Despite the recipients saying that the mentoring was incredibl…