Skip to main content

So what's it like earning a living again?

Good. Except having real stuff to do, seems to be negatively correlated to my blogging frequency....grrr!

So what's it like working at Google? So far..pretty awesome!!

Why?
  • Ridiculously, ridiculously open. I was shocked by how much info everyone has access to, and even more surprised at how incredibly people still respect product secrecy. I found myself saying "I can't talk about that." to a good friend a week after starting.....even when the question was "So how's work?". :)
  • Of course I'll mention the usual stuff: gym, massage chair, free food, good free food....there's a free DDR machine in the building next door that I must now go to more often (I played it for the first time yesterday..didn't go well!)
  • The little stuff matters to me too...the other day I had a Powerpoint deck to make; it made all the difference that I could go out, sit with my legs up on a picnic table taking in the California sun while finishing it up rather than sitting indoors.
  • Co-workers are actually pretty awesome. Everyone seems nice and sharp.
  • I like what I'll be working on first....yeah, I checked...I'm allowed to say that.:)


What I don't like so far...
  • Its all about me actually..I haven't been as good as I wanted to be about balancing a few personal projects I've wanted to start with work. I think the trick is to take those just as seriously as I take work, and set deadlines for em...
  • I loved how much tech news and different RSS feeds, I got into the habit of reading over the last six-seven months. The amount of information I've consumed in the last two weeks is soooo disappointing.
  • What's the point of buying a new TV and having DVR, if I don't take the time to enjoy it? Seriously!
Anyway, I think I have a strategy in place to fix this now....and more regular blogging to follow!...seriously..no seriously seriously!

Comments

shmoo said…
I bet living in SF would've helped...
Satyajeet said…
Considering that I have to drive to San Bruno 3 days a week....hell yeah!

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's struggle is real... at the very least to them

A couple of weeks ago, while in line waiting to pick up some food I'd just ordered, I overheard two conversations - I don't make a habit of this, but it's hard to not hear things when you leave your phone behind. :-/
My first reactions as I heard both of these conversations was annoyance at the protagonist in one and admiration for the other. Both conversations stayed with me for a while, but it took me some time to realize that was unfair on my part to be annoyed at the person that I was annoyed at.

So about these conversations:
The first was between someone working there and a friend. She was sympathizing with her friend who'd be starting a new job leaving this place. "Oh, it's minimum wage again?", she said with concern in her voice. "Yes, but it's fine", said her friend. The job was closer to where she lived so she thought she'd make about the same and she might get home a little earlier to her daughter some evenings though the hours…

Yup - humans still lack humanity

Every once in a while, I'm reminded that humans can be completely lacking in humanity.

My wife had the following experience yesterday on her ride back home. She got on the train and found a seat. The train was unusually crowded and it looked a lot of people had to stand for a long ride. An elderly Asian gentleman carrying a few things in both hands, was looking for spot, started to complain smilingly about the train being so full and stood in the aisle at the back of the carriage some seats away from her.

She expected someone closer to gentleman in the aisle (lots of younger people on the train) to give him their seat.

No one did.

The train started, and it was clear the man was having a lot of trouble standing up. Then at the next stop there was actually an announcement saying the train was full so please give up your seats to people who needed them.

Still nobody moved.

My wife got up walked to the end of the train and asked the gentleman to go over to her seat. She still couldn&#…

Whimsy when I changed my profile picture...

I changed by profile picture at work.



Later in the day, two people on my team had changed their profile pictures to these.. :-)



It made my day!

I changed my profile pic again today. Let's see how fast anyone catches on this time. :-)