Quick reviews: 5 movies

A good friend complained that the world of the arts hadn't been graced by my reviews of the movies lately. OK, she just asked if I was watching less movies lately. The answer is "yes", but still quite a few.
In reverse chronological order of seeing them:
Enchanted:
Eh, Wasn't bad really, but the reviews had me expecting more. Amy Adams carries the movie though!
Aaja Nachle
Wow. The bad reviews and reports of a poor early box-office had lowered my expectations, but I had a really, really good time at this one. And in a role that was clearly written just for her, I think it may actually be the best I've ever seen Madhuri Dixit, and that's saying something. The entire ensemble is pretty great, and it works as a simple, feel-good melodrama-type thingy.

Om Shanti Om: Its a standard SRK movie. Good times: predictably funny, over-the-top, a little too melodramatic, you get what you expect. I actually ended up seeing this 1.4 times. Don't ask.:)

Beowulf-3D:
Caught this two weekends ago (with the 3-D glasses and everything.) It was interesting; the most interesting part of the movie is clearly the stop-motion technology used to make it. The effects are the star, and they do winning turn.
Cinematically, it kinda worked too as the over-the-top, epic movie in which a computer-generated Angelina Jolie is naked and has an accent that I couldn't really place.

Dan in Real Life
This one seals it. I will henceforth blindly go to watch anything that has Steve Carrell in it. Its a really, delightful rom-com (yup, I like good rom-coms:)) , which stealing from a RottenTomatoes review and a line from the movie is "not ha-ha, laugh-out-loud funny, but human funny"
The writing and story felt very real and Carrell does the adult jealousy bit so very well...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Rescue Me" minisodes

A short love letter to ~8 years on Google Search - 8 things I’m grateful for.

Avengers Endgame: how trivial passions can nudge a career