Re-use: not just for code.

Something every programmers is taught fairly early is to re-use code, and write code that is easy to re-use.

I've been re-using Powerpoint slides quite a bit lately because, though I don't think its as clean, often leading to sub-optimal presentations.

I didn't think this applied to anything else, until yesterday when I re-sent an email I'd sent a month ago to someone who'd requested an explanation of something I knew I'd explained before.

Given how much of management these days is communication, its a good way to think about all the email you send and documents you create: is it potentially re-usable? is it likely to be useful in such a scenario? can be it be re-structured so that it is re-usable? can you store/catalog/index it in a way that you'll remember to re-use it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Rescue Me" minisodes

A short love letter to ~8 years on Google Search - 8 things I’m grateful for.

Avengers Endgame: how trivial passions can nudge a career