- Food: more options than the Bay Area, but not necessarily better
- Food: available till much later in the night than the Bay Area but still not better
- Energy: 4am in mid-town NYC on a weeknight is about the same as 9pm on Saturday in Mountain View
- Everything: Costs more.
- Apartments: Double the cost for half the space and twice the "yikes"
- People: Everyone walks faster than me
- People: Nearly everyone dresses better than me
- Working for Google here: Still just as awesome
My first reactions as I heard both of these conversations was annoyance at the protagonist in one and admiration for the other. Both conversations stayed with me for a while, but it took me some time to realize that was unfair on my part to be annoyed at the person that I was annoyed at.
So about these conversations:
The first was between someone working there and a friend. She was sympathizing with her friend who'd be starting a new job leaving this place. "Oh, it's minimum wage again?", she said with concern in her voice. "Yes, but it's fine", said her friend. The job was closer to where she lived so she thought she'd make about the same and she might get home a little earlier to her daughter some evenings though the hours…