Far too many quick movie reviews

While the excessive movie-watching had slowed a bit, its back with a vengeance over the last few weeks.

First, three pieces of evidence that give me cause for concern. Wake Up Sid, Ajab Prem Ki Gajab Kahani, and Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year, seem to suggest that Ranbir Kapoor might be around for a very long time. These movies also suggest this may not be as bad a thing.:)
And by the way, when was the last time an actor had three releases in a year where the character he plays is also in the title of the movie??

"Wake up Sid" is a fun slice-of-life,growing-up,finding-himself, finding-love kinda-film that I caught on Netflix. The sort of film you're pretty sure you've seen before and know how its going to end, but the treatment is fresh enough, the characters are interesting enough, the acting is good enough, and the script is entertaining enough, to leave you with the feeling that you've had a great time. The almost same thing goes for "Ajab Prem Ki...", except that its funnier and relies much more on slapstick. My only problem with this movie? The last time the director tried comedy, I'd laughed my head off. This time I just smiled a lot.

Which brings me to my favorite of the three, "Rocket Singh..." Everything I've said above could be said of this movie as well, except its much more. Great stories have great characters surprising you and accomplishing great things, and this one does. You root for every one of the principal characters in the film. It captures an Indian sales office like I've never seen captured before, and spends enough time on the details and building every single character. It throws in lessons about entrepreneurship and running a business (what was the last movie that you saw that made it a point to have dialog that told you "customer service is more important that sales"?:)) and leaves you feeling uplifted.

I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D as well, and I can't possibly say anything about it that hasn't already: spectacular isn't enough of a superlative. I'm getting annoyed by people complaining about the lack of a script actually. I thought there was a lot going on there! Here's my claim: if you didn't that Avatar had enough of a story, its because you were captivated by the visuals and weren't paying enough attention. :)

And finally, my (probably) last movie in a theatre this year was also my favorite: 3 Idiots
So many reasons... I'm reserving em for another post.:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Rescue Me" minisodes

A short love letter to ~8 years on Google Search - 8 things I’m grateful for.

Avengers Endgame: how trivial passions can nudge a career