Quick (movie) reviews: Raavan, Rajneeti, Get Him to the Greek and Toy Story 3

I've given up trying to say intelligent things on my blog (some would argue in real life as well.) So here are some quick movie reviews

Great cast, solid story. I stand by what I told my wife when we got out of the theatre in Boston. "Pretty great. It was like Sarkar Raj for dumber people." Everyone in the (large!) star cast did a great job. There were interesting but not-quite-fleshed-out references to the Mahabharata and contemporary Indian politics, but it was a little over-the-top and melodramatic.

T'was a month of directors referencing the Indian classics as Raavan re-told the Ramayana set in present-dayish Madhya Pradesh. I'll show up to watch anything that Mani Ratnam directs and the NY Times got it right. As good as the actors are, its the treatment that's the star.

Get Him to the Greek was fun for me, though the wife wasn't very amused. :) As much as I like him, I'm curious to see Russell Brand play anyone another than Aldous Snow, and imdb suggests he does so really well and has plenty of opportunity over the next year or so.

Toy Story 3 is probably my favorite movie of the year. How many movies have I said that about already? :)
But really: it's incredibly funny...consistently, it's genuinely touching... at so many points and in so many ways, and it grips you and never lets go. Wow! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Rescue Me" minisodes

A short love letter to ~8 years on Google Search - 8 things I’m grateful for.

Avengers Endgame: how trivial passions can nudge a career