Converting distress -> eustress (or its easier to be better when you make the consequences less serious)
- Eustress (the opposite of distress) is a good thing. Its the "good" stress that you experience during gaming that makes you focussed, motivated, alert, determined, persistent etc..
- The more often you can get yourself in this state (especially while doing things in the real world that have an impact on your own life) the better.
- One of the reasons (only one, mind you) we're able to do so well in this state is that we're less scared of the consequences of failure in a game and so more willing to be...well.. heroic.
- In life, we tend to over-estimate the negative consequences of taking risks or deferring tasks or doing anything unconventional, which leads to stress and makes us less likely to get to "hero" situations.
- its not a big deal. I'll likely get to play a similar level again.
- taking a risky path to get to a better place isn't much riskier than the status quo.